1AD DIVARTY


 

Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Armored Division Artillery was first constituted on July 15, 1940, in the Regular Army as the Artillery Section, Headquarters, 1st Armored Division, and activated at Fort Knox, Kentucky. The unit was redesignated on November 15, 1940, as the Artillery Section, Division Headquarters, 1st Armored Division.

The unit was reorganized and redesignated on March 1, 1942, as Headquarters, Division Artillery Command, Headquarters, 1st Armored Division. During World War II, the Division Artillery Command fought in North Africa and Italy, earning six campaign streamers. The unit was consolidated on July 20, 1944, with the Service Company, 1st Armored Division (less Military Police Platoon) (which had been first constituted on January 1, 1942, in the Regular Army and activated January 8, 1942, at Fort Knox, Kentucky), and consolidated unit was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, Division Artillery, 1st Armored Division. The unit was inactivated on April 18, 1946, at the New York Port of Embarkation, New York.

On March 7, 1951, it was reactivated at Fort Hood, Texas. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on July 1, 1955, as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Armored Division Artillery before being inactivated again on December 23, 1957, at Fort Polk, Louisiana.

On February 3, 1962, the unit was once again reactivated at Fort Hood, Texas. In May 1971, the unit was inactivated at Fort Hood, Texas, and reactivated in Zindorf in place of former elements of the 4th Armored Division Artillery. On November 9, 1990, the Division Artillery was notified to deploy to Saudi Arabia. As part of Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, the 1st Armored Division Artillery added two additional battle streamers for service in Southwest Asia.

In December 1995, the Division Artillery deployed to Bosnia-Herzegovina, as part of Task Force Eagle, in support of Operation Joint Endeavor. In 1997, the Division Artillery deployed to Bosnia-Herzegovina for Operation Joint Guard and Operation Joint Forge. In 1998, the Division Artillery planned and executed Rolling Steel, the first large scale Maneuver Rights Exercise in Germany since 1993. The year 1999 saw elements of the Division Artillery deploy to peacekeeping operations with Operation Allied Force in Albania and Operation Joint Guardian in Kosovo.

In the late 2000s, the 1st Armored Division's DIVARTY was inactivated. This was a product of the transformation of the 1st Armored Division to the new modular force structure. As a part of the transformation, assets that had previously been held at division level, but habitually attached to the division's brigades during operations were made organic to those brigades, including field artillery support. The 2nd Battalion, 3rd Field Artillery was inactivated and reactivated as part of the reorganized and redesignated 1st Brigade Combat Team. The 4th Battalion, 27th Field Artillery was similarly reassigned to the reorganized and redesignated 2nd Brigade Combat Team. The 1st Battalion, 94th Field Artillery was inactivated, reorganized, and reactivated as part of the 17th Fires Brigade at Fort Lewis, Washington.