• 40th Brigade Engineer Battalion

"Battering RAMs"

 

STB

STB pic

 

History of the 40th Brigade Engineer Battalion
On July 29, 1921, the 40th Engineer Battalion activated in the Organized Ready Reserve Corps as the 1st Battalion, 348th Engineer Regiment. In September 1922, the unit organized in Telluride, Colorado, but on May 21, 1925, it changed locations to Denver, Colorado. On Jan. 1, 1938, the 348th Engineer Regiment as a whole inactivated and was withdrawn from the Organized Ready Reserve Corps.

On July 15, 1942, the battalion activated as part of the Regular Army at Camp Crowder, Missouri. On Oct. 24, 1942, the unit redesignated as the 1st Battalion, 348th General Service Regiment. On April 15, 1943, the battalion redesignated and reorganized as the 348th Combat Engineer Battalion and then moved to Great Britain in November 1943 in preparation for Operation Overlord.

On June 6, 1944, the 348th Combat Engineer Battalion landed on Omaha Beach in support of the 18th Infantry Regiment. For their actions during the D-Day Invasion, the 348th Combat Engineer Battalion was awarded the French Croix de Guerre with Palm. The Soldiers of the battalion continued to distinguish themselves throughout the war in Europe and received the Meritorious Unit Commendation for their actions.

Following World War II, the 348th Combat Engineer Battalion was stationed at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey, and inactivated Feb. 27, 1946. While inactive, on Feb. 17, 1947, the unit redesignated as the 40th Engineer Combat Battalion.

On Oct. 16, 1991, the 40th Engineer Battalion activated in Germany and was assigned to the 1st Armored Division. In December 1995, while in support of Operation Joint Endeavor, the 40th Engineer Battalion crossed the Sava River. Here, the battalion conducted a wide-range of engineer missions in the southern half of the U.S. sector, including: minefield clearance, UXO disposal, route clearance, route and bridge reconnaissance, Bailey Bridge construction, road improvement projects, peace enforcement, and various Joint Military Commission construction projects. In December 1996, the battalion continued to support the 2nd Brigade Combat Team and relocated to Strassburg Kaserne in Idar-Oberstein, Germany.

During October 1998, the battalion deployed to Bosnia in support of Operations Joint Guard and Joint Forge. In May 1999, the battalion’s Tactical Command Post and A Company deployed via strategic airlift to Albania in support of Task Force Hawk and Operation Noble Anvil.

On April 16, 2003, the battalion deployed to Operation Iraqi Freedom providing superior support to combat operations and earned the Presidential Unit Citation. In 2005, 2006, and 2008, the battalion deployed to Iraq and received the Meritorious Unit Commendation and a Valorous Unit Award.

On Oct. 16, 2009, the 40th Engineer Battalion reflagged under the 170th Infantry Brigade Combat Team and deployed to Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom 10-11.

On June 17, 2015, the 40th Engineer Battalion reactivated and joined the Brigade Engineer Battalions in Fort Bliss and rejoined the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division.

In November 2017, the 40th Brigade Engineer Battalion deployed to the CENTCOM area to assume the role of SECFOR - South in support of Operation Spartan Shield at Camp Patriot (Kuwait Naval Base), Kuwait.